Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Limiting Databases in Enterprise Manager

Wow, this was a cool tip. I hate when I connect to certain databases and I have to wait a few minutes for the list of databases to load up. The funny thing is, I don't even have access to most of them, so why even show them to me?

Did you ever connect to a an SQL server using Enterprise Manager where the server in question had a hundred or so databases installed? If you have you will know there is a significant delay when you expand the tree to find your database.
This KB Article from Microsoft includes a stored procedure that modifies the process of creating that browse list and shows the connecting EM only the databases they are entitled to see.


Article on ColdfusionMuse - Limiting the Databases Seen in MS SQL Enterprise Manager

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article

No comments: