Monday, October 01, 2018

CFSummit 2018 - Pre-conference

Had a great first pre-conference day at the Adobe ColdFusion Summit this year. It's been a few years since I've been able to attend a CF conference, but how can you go wrong with a visit to Las Vegas?

Everyone was friendly with a lot of smiling Adobe faces, the atmosphere was upbeat, the service and food was great. The Hard Rock facilities are really good, and the conference rooms are very close to the room tower.

My coworker and I attended the Angular and CF pre-conference workshop. There were several great things about the workshop:

  • Speaker Nolan Erck did a good job of simplifying the process - using CommandBox and NPM to get up and running to develop a sample Angular app
  • Co-speaker Carl von Stetten did a great job of preparing APIs using different techniques in ColdFusion, from basic CFM files to remote CFCs to Taffy and Coldbox handlers.
However, the whole first half of the pre-conference session was completely wrapped up in trying to help attendees prepare their environments. It was a real shame since it really seemed like Nolan has a gift for training and has a lot to say about both ColdFusion and Angular.

It ended on a bit of a chaotic note, but I still have to say I appreciate the attempt. I worry that many of the attendees were left with the somewhat unfair impression that Angular and the current "modern development and build environment" is still too complex and out of reach for them. I do think we were suitably impressed by what Angular can do.

I feel a bit like it was a missed opportunity to attend one of the other workshops.

CommandBox and Taffy are, as always, amazing.

We managed to meet some amazing fellow developers, many of them from Texas, and swap stories.

Last night and tonight I managed to get two long walks to the Las Vegas strip. I saw an exhibition at Ballys, walked all over, and stopped in at Mandalay Bay. Tonight was the one year anniversary of the Las Vegas shooting, so I got to watch as they turned off many of the lights at 10:01pm on the Strip for a minute of mourning. #vegasstronger

Mandalay Bay - Las Vegas - October 2018


No comments: